The radiator valve is a device that controls the flow of water through your radiator. If you have had problems with leaks or poor heating, this could be due to a faulty valve.
This blog post will tell you how to fix a leaking radiator valve:
What is a raditor valve?
Radiator valves are used to control the flow of hot water through the radiator system. When the valve is opened, hot water steam flows upwards into the radiator at one end and cools down as it passes along to other radiators before leaving via the other end.
How does a radiator valve fail?
A radiator can fail because of damage to any component in its pipe work, including sections that are concealed within walls or floors. If you suspect that your fault could be caused by damaged components, then contact us for advice on what needs to be done first.
fixing leaks from un-named parts an fixings may not necessarily solve your problem if there is damage elsewhere in your pipework, so please contact us if this applies to you.
If the problem is with a top radiator, it may be that the valve has become clogged with lime-scale. The most effective way of clearing this is to remove the valve completely, fill it with pincer cleaners, then leave overnight before refitting.
Another possible cause of leaking valves in radiators is corrosion at middle connection points where two lengths of copper tubes meet up. This can be repaired by resoldering or brazing tubes together with special alloy material.
Why do I need to repair my radiator?
If your central heating system isn’t working properly you could have leaks in any part of your central heating system. One example would be if one or more of your radiators aren’t getting hot when they should be or not producing any heat at all.
To remove the faulty valve you will need a pair of pliers, a flat-bladed screwdriver and an adjustable spanner.
How To Fix A Leaking Radiator Valve?
The radiator is a popular heating appliance that works by transferring heat from one place to another. The heat can be transferred through hot water, steam or air.
Radiators are used in homes all over the world for heating purposes and without them, many people would have to use other means of keeping warm during winter months because it would be impossible to keep their house warm enough otherwise.
But sometimes, radiators break down and need repairs which is what this article will cover.
- The first thing you should do if your radiator starts leaking is turn off the power supply immediately so as not to cause any electrical shock hazard but don’t worry about turning off the main switch unless you know how (this usually needs an electrician). Next, open the windows to create a cross-draft or turn on fans so as to circulate the air inside your house.
- Once you have done this, remove anything near to where the leak occurred and, if possible, turn off water supply at your radiators. If the radiator is leaking because of a defective valve or washer, you can try to fix it yourself. This can be done by following these simple steps:
- Remove the nuts holding the leaking valve in place with a wrench. You might need to remove all of them or just some or even one but make sure you know how many there are and where they are located before you start anything else. The valve should now come loose in your hands.
- Be careful not to damage the gasket when removing the leaking valve from the radiator because this is what stops it from leaking and if you damage it, you will end up having to buy a new one and installing it again which will be more time consuming and difficult for you.
- Remove any debris from within the radiator.
- Unscrew and remove the old valve from its bracket by turning it counterclockwise so as to release it.
- Install a new valve in its place, tighten and turn clockwise. If there is a washer on the new valve, make sure you replace it with an identical one before you put it back.
- Put a new gasket on the new valve and set it in place by hand to make sure that fits properly before you tighten nuts or screws with your wrench. Remember, there should be no gap between the radiator and valve casing for this not to leak.
- If you notice any leaks after installing a new valve, you might have a faulty gasket. This is a problem that requires contacting a professional to fix so you can do your best but it’s not something that can be fixed easily by yourself. Once the problem has been fixed, check for other possible leaks and tighten nuts or screws again if necessary until all leaks are found and fixed.
- Turn the water supply back on and check for leaks again to see if everything was fixed successfully. If there are no more leaks, you can turn your heating system on again to test it out.
- If this doesn’t help, you might want to contact a plumber who will know what needs to be done to fix your radiator.
- If the leak is too bad, you might want to consider replacing the whole radiator instead of trying to fix it. Good luck!
Is it normal for radiator valve to leak?
It is not normal for a radiator valve to leak especially when it is new or has recently been installed in your home. It is important that you thoroughly check it to see if you have a faulty valve or has a leak somewhere else. If it is the latter, look at the gasket because this can be easily fixed by tightening nuts and screws with your wrench. If that doesn’t work, consider replacing the radiator instead of trying to fix it.
Can you fix a radiator leak without replacing it?
The best way to fix a radiator leak is by replacing the faulty valve or washer that caused it. You can try to do this yourself but remember that if you damage the gasket, you will have to buy another one and replace it again so it’s better for you to call a plumber who knows what needs to be done.
Fixing a leaking radiator valve is often done by yourself to save you money but it can be complicated if you do not know what needs to be done. If the leaking is very bad, consider replacing the whole radiator instead of trying to fix it which is something that requires experience and knowledge so best to leave this one alone.
How do I stop my radiator valve from leaking?
If your radiator valve is leaking, there are several things that might have caused it. The first thing you need to do if this happens is assess the damage by checking to see how much it has already leaked because you can fix a small leak but if it’s too bad, you should consider replacing the whole radiator instead of trying to fix it. You can also replace the washer or tighten nuts and screws with your wrench until the problem is fixed.
Does a new heating system mean fixing all leaks?
Even if you are installing a brand new heating system in your home, this does not guarantee that all leaks will be fixed because other parts of the house need to be checked for damages as well so best to contact a plumber if you notice a leak.